Is It Time To Modify A Family Court Order?

Has your child custody, child support or spousal support order become outdated? Court orders following a divorce or a child custody case may seem final, but the legal system allows for modifications when warranted. With skilled legal counsel, it may be possible to update your existing court order to better suit your needs and those of your children.

I am family law attorney Susan Hamra and I draw on over 30 years of experience to skillfully represent clients in family law matters in Chesterfield, Missouri, and throughout St. Charles County and St. Louis County.

Contact my law office today to schedule a free initial consultation if you would like to discuss your legal needs. Call 636-898-5881.

Understanding The Legal Process

Even if your ex-spouse or your child's other parent agrees with you about a particular modification, you need to follow the legal process to formalize the change. To obtain a modification under Missouri family law, the court will review several variables to ensure the motion to modify is appropriate.

  • Custody modification - In order to successfully obtain a custody modification, a parent must demonstrate a substantial and continuing change in circumstances (in the life of a custodial parent or child). Because a substantial and continuing change can be subjective, it is critically important to understand all issues. You will typically need to prove that the current parenting plan is no longer in the best interests of the child (or children). Relocation concerns may also result in custody modifications or requests to modify custody.
  • Child support modification - When incomes change such that there is a 20 percent shift from the current child support orders, a modification to child support can be immediately considered. Support modifications may also be considered in issues of emancipation of one child (making funds available for other children). College and postsecondary orders may also have an effect on modification options.
  • Spousal support modification - In Missouri, it can be difficult to modify spousal support/alimony and even more difficult to terminate it. If one spouse is paying or receiving maintenance and expenses of living change, it may be appropriate to request an adjustment to support.

Many of these issues can be extremely complicated. In order to reach an ideal outcome, the benefit of an experienced lawyer cannot be overvalued.

How Can I Help You?

I am dedicated to bringing my extensive experience in complex divorce and family law cases to help you and your loved ones reach a best possible resolution if you are dealing with any modification issues. I encourage you to reach out to me as soon as possible to begin deliberately and decisively working through these times of transition.

To schedule a free initial legal consultation, please call 636-898-5881 or 800-243-8084 or email Hamra Law Firm, LLC. This is your opportunity to get answers to your questions and learn whether I can be of service to you.